My photo
I am currently a student at Texas A&M. I love God, family, friends, and photography

Sunday, June 17, 2012

SIMBA

So, Simba, in swahili means lion. Yea, lion, saw one. Pretty cool. My mind is scattered, and like the last posts this covers yesterdays entry as well, so just bare with me.

So, Saturday, originally anticipated as a recovery day wasn't really much of one. We were up at 6 and I didn't really sleep that night before. We left nice and early to get to the Kenyan National Park for a safari! I honestly didn't know that we were gonna go on one, so I was pumped.

The park is huge about 151sq miles. In all we spent about 5 hours there. In our excursion we saw a warthog, rhinos, ostriches, water buffalo, wildebeests, giraffes, an african eagle, and finally, a lion. We spotted the lioness as she walked away from a failed attack. She quickly hurried off into the brush, and shortly after we heard her roar, or at least I did. Pretty awesome. Great being able to see some of God's majestic creatures running around on their own.

After the safari we headed to our lunch spot at a mall. The place we ate, Java House, is quickly becoming a favorite place of mine. Anyway, right after we ordered our meal the power went out, not unusual in Africa. The power quickly came back on due to a generator. Blackouts are normal; however, it wasn't a black out in this case. A car had actually hit a power pole and the lines had fallen. Shortly after I saw the car stuck under the pole I heard a fizzle and pop, the transformer had exploded. Crazy stuff, but not unusual in Africa.

After lunch we went and picked up a few high schoolers involved in the Penda Project. We were exhausted after the safai and what we had on the agenda was perfect for some rest. We took the students, about 20 in all I think, to go see the Avengers. This was the first time that most of them had ever been to a movie, pretty neat I think. After we went to an arcade. They seemed to enjoy themselves quite a bit, especially at the driving games. Funny thing about the arcade, everything was in chinese. IF you dont know, the chinese presence in Africa is heavy. Any major construction, building or other is usually done by a chinese company. But thats for another time.

After an exhausting and long day we were able to retreat to the house for some rest. Moses had prepared an amazing dinner, chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli, spinach, salad, and finally, cake. Possibly one of the best meals I have ever had. I have been eating much better than originally expected, and I'm totally okay with that. I also finished my book, The Pleasure of My Own Company, by Steve Martin. If you want an interesting short read, go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment